Specifications of Mir-1V:
Focal distance: 37mm
Max and min aperture: F2.8-F16
Number of lenses / groups: 6 lenses in 5 groups
Number of diaphragm blades: 8
Mount: M42 thread
The diameter of front filter: 49mm
Resolution of TU (center/edge): 45/23 lines/mm
Transmission coefficient: 0,78
The first surprising thing is that lens are very small and compact. It has three control rings, because it looks pretty weird. The focus ring has a marked similarity with the nut in the power of clear edges
In 1958 Mir-1 (M39 under) won the Grand Prix at the world exhibition in Brussels, and in 1959 Mir-1 was awarded with the Diploma of II degree ENEA USSR.
The lens was copied from the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm F2.8.
The Advantages of Mir-1V :
1) Like any other old Soviet lens Mir-1B is made of glass and metal. It will serve a very long time with gentle handling forever. Moreover, operating with a well-focused lens is much nicer than with the cheap Chinese plastic.
2) Mir-1V is perfect on full frame of crop cameras and other cameras of smaller formats. This is important because a lot of fans of the Soviet optics use it on SLR cameras, but after upgrading to full format, they will be able to continue to use this lens.
3)The lens has a ring to preset the diaphragm. This is an indispensable thing for manual lenses. Just set at aperture 2.8 and the time of the shooting and close the aperture to the desired value. But there is one thing that is mentioned in the disadvantages.
4) When used on DX Nikon cameras, the viewing angle is equal to the angle of the lens 55.5 mm on a full frame.
5) This lenses gives an interesting picture.
The disadvantages of of Mir-1V:
1) Not very convenient focus ring. The ring is near the lens mount. Also, it is very hard to see distance focus indicators, as they are located closer to the focus ring. Moreover, the aperture ring is much bigger and wider and is almost in the middle of the lens.
2) Easy aperture ring movement. As the focusing ring is quite uncomfortable, you touch the aperture ring and knock it out. If you want not to knock the ring , aperture should be only on the value of 2.8 when the control ring and the ring in the preview are in the same position.
3) Non-standard diameter front filter is 49mm. All Soviet lenses was without a front cap or filter. It’s a big disadvantage nowadays. However, the lens comes in a stylish box, where it can be stored without front and rear covers.
The lens is really sharp, but the picture is soft, which is quite a rarity. Neutral color rendition, lens doesn’t transmit the contrast Because of the low contrast and not very vivid images you get photos just like from monocle. The Contrast and color is very easy to correct using the graphical editor, especially if you shoot in RAW.
The focal difference between 35mm and 37mm is not evident . The lens is quite difficult to focus. In General, it is best for a wide angle lens to focus by using information about the focusing distance. The eye is quite difficult to get into the zone of sharpness. When focusing the front part of the lens moves only 0.5 cm forward, it moves all lenseunit. Most likely, the use of an adapter with a lens also will not allow focus at infinity, because the lens settings are against the lens adapter.
To sum up, interesting wide-angle lens with good sharpness and pattern softness. There were many different versions of Mir-1 lens, because their quality may vary greatly. Especially it is necessary to pay attention to the difference in the enlightenment and the rim of the case.
Konstantin: Hello. I have become the owner of this lens recently, but my lens has ten aperture blades.
Arkady: It’s useless to take portraits on it . The sharpness is not satisfying.
Edgar: I recommend to try it, he shows very sincere pictures (but it suffers from chromatic aberration).
Maks: Very interesting lenses
Radamir: I’ve purchased the lens a couple of weeks ago. I am very satisfied. It fits for my Canon 500D with camomile adapter. I don’t notice the problems with focus. Very convenient. Lightly clamp the shutter, release the button and twist the sharpness until it squeaks.