Helios-81H is one of the best lenses of the Helios family.
The specifications of MC Helios-81Н 2/50:
MDF (minimum focusing distance): 0.5 m
Max. min. aperture: F/2-F/16
Number of diaphragm blades: 6
Focal length: 50mm
Mount: «N» analog Nikon F
Optical scheme: 6 elements in 4 groups
The diameter of front filter: 52mm.
MC Helios-81H is being used for the standard lens on cameras ‘Kiev-17’.
MC Helios-81 H was produced at the plants Arsenal in Kiev and Uman in Ukraine. There is a special lanthanum glass in this lenses — heavy crown with high resolution. It allows to get rid of chromatic aberrations.
Helios 81 was produced in three main versions Helios 81Automatic, Helios 81M and Helios-81Н under three different mounts.
The pros of Helios-81 H:
1) The compactness of MC Helios-81Н lens. Its dimensions are small and it has no problem to put in your photo bag.
2) The quality of photo . the lens is sharp at maximum aperture F2.0. Chromatic abbreviations are not noticeable, bokeh is gorgeous
3) Excellent ergonomics. It is very convenient to operate lens. Nothing more.
4) The large aperture. Aperture F2.0 is fully working. For example, the Nikon 50mm F1.8 has a much soap picture with F1.8 to F2.8 particularly when focusing at infinity.
5) The ability to use Helios-81Н on full-frame cameras such as Nikon D800, D700, D3s, Canon 5D.
6) MC – multi enlightenment – essential bonus from the Soviet Union. Helps in the fight against controlam light improves the image. Adds contrast to photos.
7) The persistence of the lens. THis is not a cheap Chinese lens with a plastic mount. It is made of glass and metal. ‘Sunny’ MC Helios-81Н will survive many more generations.
The cons of Helios-81H:
- Weight. Heavy for his size.
- A small number of aperture blades, which is bad for shooting at apertures less than F2.0
- Depending on the year and type of issue it cannot be applicable for all Nikon cameras
- When focusing all lenseunit goes, the focal length of the lens changes a little bit.
- It Can catch ghostings in the backlight. Better buy a cheap Chinese lens hood for the lens.
Helios 81Н is one of the best regular Soviet fast lenses which gives excellent sharpness even at full aperture. It has an interesting twisted bokeh with the crop factor on a modern digital-SLR cameras. It is absolutely perfect for portraits. The price is also affordable for this quality.
Volodya: I will subscribe under each word! For thoughtful photography you can hardly ever find the best one
Vanya: The best one for portraits!
Katya: It’s a must-have! I have two these lenses and will not give it. Moreover, I don’t know the other alternative to Nikon 50mm.
Maks: I think that this lenses are suitable only for professionals, not for beginners
Inna: The best bargain!